67th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

National Colors 67th OVI This regiment had its rise in the consolidation of two partly organized regiments the Forty-Fifth and the Sixty-Seventh. The regiment left Columbus, Ohio, for the field January 19, 1862, going into Western Virginia, under General Lander. With the exception of a march to Bloomrey Gap, the greater portion of the month of February was spent at Paw Paw Tunnel. On the 5th of March the regiment moved to Winchester, General Shields commanding the division, where skirmishing was frequent, on the picket-line, with Ashby's cavalry.
On the afternoon of March 22d the regiment reported to General Banks in Winchester, and soon engaged the enemy, driving them till past nightfall, as far south as Kearnstown. The regiment lay on their arms all night, and on the next morning were the first to engage the enemy. After the infantry fighting had been fairly opened the Sixty-Seventh was ordered to re-enforce General Tyler's brigade; to do which it was necessary to pass over an open field for three-fourths of a mile, exposed to the enemy's fire. The regiment executed the movement on the double-quick, and came into action in splendid order. The regiment lost in this action fifteen killed and thirty-two wounded. Until the last of the next June the Sixty-Seventh endured the hardships of marches up and down the valley, over the mountains and back again, from the Potomac to Harrisonburg, from Front Royal to Fredericksburg, from Fredericksburg to Manassas, from Manassas to Port Republic, and from Port Republic to Alexandria.
On the 29th of June the regiment embarked on steamer Herald and barge Delaware and started for the James to re-enforce General McClellan. In the night of the 30th, when near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, in a heavy gale, the hawser by which the barge was towed parted, leaving the barge to toss about in the trough of the sea. Men, horses, arms, and camp and garrison equipage, were carried overboard and lost, and it was nearly an hour before the steamer was able to return to the barge. At Harrison s Landing the regiment campaigned with the Army of the Potomac till the evacuation of the Peninsula, when it went to Suffolk, Virginia, with only three hundred men for duty out of the eight hundred and fifty which composed the regiment at the organization. While here the regiment enjoyed its first opportunity for rest and drill; and in the last of December was transferred to North Carolina, and then to Hilton Head, where it arrived February 1, 1863. The regiment shared in the Charleston expedition, landing on Cole's Island on the 2d of April. For seven months the regiment heroically endured all the hardships, privations, and dangers of the siege, taking part in the attack on Fort Wagner, and sustaining a heavy loss. It was at last relieved and allowed a few days rest preparatory to an expedition into Florida.
The regiment re-enlisted, and returned to Ohio February, 1864. At the expiration of their furloughs the soldiers of the Sixty-Seventh returned to the field, reaching Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, under General Butler, on the 6th of May, 1864. On the 9th of May the Sixty-Seventh was detached to guard the right flank of the Tenth Corps, that had gone to the railroad at Chester Station to destroy it from there to Petersburg. A section of artillery was sent with the regiment, and they were placed on the turnpike from Richmond to Petersburg, about eleven miles from the former place, with orders to hold the position at all hazards. During the night re-enforcements arrived, and next morning the Rebels made a general attack upon them. The Sixty-Seventh maintained its position from first to last, presenting an unbroken front to four successive charges. A section of our artillery, for a short time, fell into the hands of the enemy, but was recaptured by a portion of company F. The 10th of May, 1864, will always be remembered, as a sad but glorious day, by the Sixty-Seventh. Seventy-six officers and men were killed and wounded in that battle.
On the 20th of May, a portion of our lines having fallen into the hands of the Rebels, the Sixty-Seventh, with other regiments, was designated to recapture it, which they did by a charge, in which the regiment lost sixty-nine officers and men killed and wounded. The Rebel General W.H.S. Walker was wounded and captured, his sword passing into the hands of Colonel Voris as a trophy. On the 16th of August four companies of the Sixty-Seventh charged the rifle-pits of the enemy at Deep River, and at the first volley lost a third of their men; but before the Rebels could reload the rifle-pits were in our possession. On the 7th, 13th, 27th, and 28th of October the regiment engaged the enemy, with a loss of over one hundred men. During the spring, summer, and fall of 1864 the Sixty-Seventh confronted the enemy, at all times within range of their guns; and it is said, by officers competent to judge, that during the year it was under fire two hundred times. No movement was without danger; firing was kept up for days, and men wore their accouterments for weeks at a time. Out of over six hundred muskets taken to the front in the spring, three-fifths were laid aside during the year on account of casualties.
In the spring of 1865 the Sixty-Seventh participated in the assault on the Rebel works below Petersburg; on the 2d of April was foremost in the charge on Fort Gregg, and at Appomattox C.H. was in at the death, bearing her battle-flag proudly in the last fight our forces made against the Army of Northern Virginia
On the 5th of May the regiment reported to General Voris, commanding the District of South Anna, Virginia, and garrisoned that portion of the State till December, 1865. In the meantime the Sixty-Second Ohio was consolidated with the Sixty-Seventh, the latter regiment retaining its organization. The Sixty-Seventh was mustered out of the service on the 12th of December, 1865.

From: Ohio in the War
By Whitelaw Reid
Moore, Wilstach and Baldwin
Cincinnati Ohio 1868

Image of 67th OVI National Color From: The Ohio Historical Society

For more info see the 67th Ohio Infantry page at Ohio in the Civil War.

Top Of Page


Mail: lstevens@infinet.com