Sketches of War History
Transcribed by Larry Stevens
- My First Day Under Fire at Shiloh - Brevet Lieutenant Colonel E.C. Dawes.
- The Battle of Missionary Ridge - Major General Thomas J. Wood.
- With Sheridan's Division at Missionary Ridge - First Lieutenant John K. Shellenberger.
- General Nathaniel Lyon and His Campaign in Missouri in 1861 - Brevet Brigadier General Wm. M. Wherry.
- The Battle of the Boys - Brevet Major General A.C. Voris.
- Major Robert Anderson at Fort Sumter - Colonel Charles Anderson.
- The Retreat of the Union Forces from the Kanawha Valley in 1862 - Lieutenant Colonel John N. Vance.
- The Lynchburg Campaign - First Lieutenant Edward S. Wilson.
- From North Anna to Cold Harbor - Brevet Brigadier General John S. Jones.
- The Army of the Potomac from Antietam to Warrenton - Brevet Major General Wm. Farrar Smith, U.S.A.
- Battery B, Fourth United States Artillery at Gettysburg - Brevet Major James Stewart, U.S.A.
- The Battle of Waynesboro - Brevet Major Harlan P. Lloyd.
- A Railroad Feat of War - Captain George A. Thayer.
- Incidents of the Battle of Cedar Creek - Brevet Major General Rutherford B. Hayes.
- The Fifth Ohio Infantry at Resaca - Colonel Robert L. Kilpatrick, U.S.A.
- McCook's Brigade at the Assault on Kenesaw Mountain, Georgia, June 27, 1864 - Brevet Major F.B. James.
- Morgan's Raid in Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio, July, 1863 - Captain H.C. Weaver.
- Dealing With Slavery - Captain Channing Richards.
- Incidents of Field Hospital Life with the Army of the Potomac - Major and Surgeon Jacob Ebersole.
- Reminiscences of Life in Rebel Prisons - Colonel M.A. Cochran, 6th U.S. Inf.
- John Pope, Major General, U.S.A. - Brevet Major General Manning F. Force.
- How I Won my First Brevet - Major General A.V. Kautz, U.S.A.
- A Year With the Rebels - Brevet Brigadier General G.W. Shurtleff.
- The Army of the Tennessee - Brevet Lieutenant Colonel E.C. Dawes.
- The Organization of the Surgical Department in the Field, and the Experiences of its Officers in the Battle of Franklin - Major C.S. Frink, (with an introduction by Major General J.D. Cox).
- The Story of a Gunshot Wound - First Lieutenant A.B. Isham.
- Also contains portraits of Colonel Charles Anderson, General John Pope and map of assault on Kenesaw Mountain.
Sketches of War History, 1861-1865. Papers read before the Ohio Commandry of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. 1890-1896. Edited by W.H. Chamberlin, late Major U.S.V., Recorder. Published by the Commandery. Volume Four. Cincinnati: The Robert Clarke Company. 1896. Reprinted by Broadfoot Publishing Co. NC. 1991
More about the Civil War in Ohio.