85th Ohio Infantry
compiled by Larry Stevens
References for this Unit
- see also Bibliography of State-Wide References
- Ohio In The War-Volume II. Whitelaw Reid. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati 1868
- History of Jerome Township. Union County, Ohio. by W.L. Curry. Press of Edward T. Miller Co. Columbus. Ohio. 1913. Contains a history of the 85th OVI on pg 118.
- National Tribune. Guarding of the War - Time President. Smith Stimmel. August 30th, 1928
- Unit Bibliography. U.S. Army Military History Institute. Carlisle Barracks. PA. 1995
- WRC in the Civil War - Charles Young's Account of Company B, 85th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Captain Charles Augustus Young. Co. B. 85th OVI. In 6 parts starting on July 21, 2011. From Recollections. A blog by University Archives. Case Western Reserve University. 10900 Euclid Ave. Cleveland. Ohio
HistoryThis organization never reached the regimental point. It was recruited to the proportions of a battalion (four companies), and retained in Camp Chase (at Columbus) to aid in guarding the large number of Rebel prisoners in confinement there. Occasionally a company of it would be attached to some regimental organization and sent to the field. It is due to the officers and men of the Eighty-Fifth to say that they performed most arduous and valuable duty, and that they merited and received the commendations of both the Governor of the state, and of the United States authorities on duty at Camp Chase.
From: Ohio in the War. By Whitelaw Reid.
From Dyer's Compendium85th Regiment Infantry. Organized at Camp Chase for three months' service May-June, 1862. Zinn's Battalion moved to Kentucky and participated in operations against Morgan July, 1862. Prison guard at Camp Chase, Ohio, till September. Zinn's Battalion moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and participated in the operations for the defence of that city against Kirby Smith's threatened attack August-September. Mustered out September 23 and September 27, 1862. Lost during service by disease 10 Enlisted men.
Thanks to Dr. Richard A. Sauers for the initial research and indexing of the National Tribune articles.
More about the Civil War in Ohio.
Copyright © 1995 Larry Stevens
Last updated May 18 2013