154th Ohio Infantry
compiled by Larry Stevens
References for this Unit
- see also Bibliography of State-Wide References
- Ohio In The War-Volume II. Whitelaw Reid. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati 1868
- National Tribune. Again in Vicksburg. A Northern Comrade Goes South and Wanders Over the Old Ground. EHM. June 7, 1894
- The History and Services of the 154th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Joseph A Stipp. 72 pgs. Hadley & Fullagar Printers and Binders. Toledo. Ohio. 1896. Call# CANADAY Center E525.5 154th .S86. University of Toledo. Toledo. Ohio
Reprint: The History and Service of the 154th Ohio Volunteer Infantry / by Joseph A. Stipp. 73 pgs. Publish info Sylvania. Ohio. Borderland Books. 198-? Call# Maag General E525.5 154th .S86 1980z. Youngstown State University. Youngstown. Ohio
- Greene County in the War. Being a History of the Seventy-Fourth Regiment with Sketches of the Twelfth, Ninety-Fourth, One Hundred and Tenth, Forty-Fourth and One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth Regiments and the Tenth Ohio Battery, Embracing Anecdotes, Incidents and Narratives of the Camp, March and Battlefield, and the Author's Experience While In the Army. Ira S. Owens. 196 pgs. Torchlight Job Rooms. Xenia. Ohio. 1872. Call# Rare Books E525.5 74th .O93x c.2. State Library of Ohio. Columbus. Ohio
- Greene County Soldiers in the Late War: Being a History of the Seventy-Fourth O.V.I.: With Sketches of the Twelfth, Ninety-Fourth, One Hundred and Tenth, Forty-Fourth, Tenth Ohio Battery, One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth, Fifty-Fourth, Seventeenth, Thirty-Fourth, One Hundred and Eighty-Fourth: Together With a List of Greene County's Soldiers. by Ira S. Owens. 294 pgs. Christian Publishing House. Dayton. Ohio. 1884. Call# Rare Books E525.4 74th .O92 1884x. State Library of Ohio. Columbus. Ohio
- Unit Bibliography. U.S. Army Military History Institute. Carlisle Barracks. PA. 1995
- Confederate Retaliation; McCausland's 1864 Raid. by Fritz Haselberger. 257 pgs. Burd Street Press. Shippensburg. Pa. 2000
John Weaver Peterson, 1843-1921, son of Felix and Mary (Weaver) Peterson
154th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H
Courtesy of and Copyright © Greene County Ohio Historical Society
History154th Ohio National Guard. This regiment was organized May 9, 1864, under Col. Robert Stevenson. During its term of service it operated in the vicinity of New Creek and Greenland Gap, Va. It was mustered out on the 1st of September, 1864.
Direct Quote From: War History of Union County Ohio
by William L. Curry
Marysville, Ohio 1883
From Dyer's Compendium154th Regiment Infantry. Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, and mustered in May 8, 1864. Left State for New Creek, W. Va., May 12. Guard and picket duty at New Creek till May 29. (Co. "F" detached at Piedmont May 22 to August 22.) Moved to Greenland Gap May 29. Skirmish near Moorefield June 4. (1 Co. detached at Youghiogheny Bridge till July 25.) Engaged in numerous scouting expeditions till July 25. Moved to New Creek July 25. Action at New Creek August 4. Moved to Camp Chase, Ohio, August 10 in charge of prisoners; thence to Camp Dennison August 22, and there mustered out September 1, 1864. Regiment lost during service 1 Enlisted man killed and 3 Enlisted men by disease. Total 4.
Thanks to Dr. Richard A. Sauers for the initial research and indexing of the National Tribune articles.
More about the Civil War in Ohio.
Copyright © 1995 Larry Stevens
Last updated October 26 2012