143rd Ohio Infantry

compiled by Larry Stevens

References for this Unit

History

Organized as a Ohio National Guard unit, May 13, 1864, for one hundred days service, under Colonel Wm. H. Vodrey, it at once moved to Washington City. The Regiment performed garrison duty until June, when it was placed in the trenches at City Point and afterwards in Fort Pocahontas. It was relieved the last of August and returned to Ohio for muster out September 12, 1864.

From Dyer's Compendium

143rd Regiment Infantry. Organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, and mustered in May 12, 1864. Left State for Washington, D.C., May 15. Guard duty at Forts Slemmer, Totten, Slocum and Stevens, attached to 1st Brigade, Haskins' Division, 22nd Army Corps, till June 8. Moved to White House Landing June 8, thence to Bermuda Hundred. Assigned to 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 10th Army Corps, Army of the James. Duty in the trenches at Bermuda Hundred, City Point and Fort Pocohontas till August 29. Ordered to Camp Chase, Ohio, and mustered out September 13, 1864. Regiment lost during service 32 Enlisted men by disease. Total 32.

More about the Civil War in Ohio.

Copyright © 1995 Larry Stevens

Last updated September 12 2008