10th Ohio Independent Battery
compiled by Larry Stevens
References for this Unit
- see also Bibliography of State-Wide References
- Ohio In The War-Volume II. Whitelaw Reid. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati 1868
- Greene County in the War. Being a History of the Seventy-Fourth Regiment with Sketches of the Twelfth, Ninety-Fourth, One Hundred and Tenth, Forty-Fourth and One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth Regiments and the Tenth Ohio Battery, Embracing Anecdotes, Incidents and Narratives of the Camp, March and Battlefield, and the Author's Experience While In the Army. Ira S. Owens. 196 pgs. Torchlight Job Rooms. Xenia. Ohio. 1872. Call# Rare Books E525.5 74th .O93x c.2. State Library of Ohio. Columbus. Ohio
- Greene County Soldiers in the Late War: Being a History of the Seventy-Fourth O.V.I.: With Sketches of the Twelfth, Ninety-Fourth, One Hundred and Tenth, Forty-Fourth, Tenth Ohio Battery, One Hundred and Fifty-Fourth, Fifty-Fourth, Seventeenth, Thirty-Fourth, One Hundred and Eighty-Fourth: Together With a List of Greene County's Soldiers. by Ira S. Owens. 294 pgs. Christian Publishing House. Dayton. Ohio. 1884. Call# Rare Books E525.4 74th .O92 1884x. State Library of Ohio. Columbus. Ohio
- History of Jerome Township. Union County, Ohio. by W.L. Curry. Press of Edward T. Miller Co. Columbus. Ohio. 1913. Contains a history of the 10th Ohio Battery on pgs 153-154.
- Unit Bibliography. U.S. Army Military History Institute. Carlisle Barracks. PA. 1995
- Unit History: 10th Ohio Battery. Ira S. Owens. In: Ohio Civil War Genealogy Journal. pgs. 35-37. Vol. I. No. I. Spring. 1997. Ohio Genealogical Society. Mansfield . Ohio. Taken directly from: Greene County Soldiers in the Late War .... Christian Publishing House. Dayton. Ohio. 1884
- 10th Battery Ohio Artillery Monument. Vicksburg National Military Park. 3201 Clay Street. Vicksburg. MS. 39180. 1998
HistoryMustered in under Captain H. Berlace White on March 3rd, 1862, the unit served at Shiloh, seige of Corinth, battle of Corinth, Vicksburg, Kenesaw Mountain and Nickajack Creek. The Battery mustered out on July 17th, 1865 at Camp Dennison.
From Dyer's Compendium10th Independent Battery Light Artillery. Organized at Xenia, Ohio, January 9, 1862. Moved to Camp Dennison, Ohio, and mustered in March 3, 1862. Ordered to St. Louis, Mo., thence moved to Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April 4-9. Attached to 6th Division, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1862. Artillery, 6th Division, District of Corinth, Miss., to November, 1862. Artillery. 6th Division, Left Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 6th Division, 16th Army Corps, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 6th Division, 17th Army Corps, to September, 1863. Artillery, 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, to April. 1864. Artillery, 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, April, 1864. Artillery, 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps, to November, 1864. Artillery Reserve, Nashville, Tenn.. Dept. of the Cumberland, to February, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, District of East Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to July, 1865.
SERVICE.--Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30, 1862. Duty at Corinth, Miss., till September 15. Moved to Iuka, Miss., and duty there till October 1. Battle of Iuka September 19 and 27. Moved to Corinth October 1-2. Battle of Corinth October 3-4. Pursuit to Ripley October 5-12. Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign November, 1862, to January, 1863. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., January 10, 1863, thence to Lake Providence, La., January 21, and duty there till April. Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30. Duty at Grand Gulf till June. Siege of Vicksburg June 13-July 4. Messenger's Ferry, Big Black River, June 29-30 and July 3. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Bolton's Ferry, Big Black River, July 4-6. Siege of Jackson, Miss., July 10-17. Duty at Vicksburg till April, 1864. Moved to Clifton, Tenn., thence march via Huntsville and Decatur, Ala., to Ackworth, Ga., April to June 9. Atlanta Campaign June 9 to September 8. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 5-12. Turner's Ferry July 5. Moved to Marietta, Ga.. July 12, and duty there till November. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., November 2, and duty there till April, 1865. Battles of Nashville December 15-16, 1864 (Reserve). Moved to Sweetwater, Tenn., April 1, 1865, thence to Loudon, Tenn., and duty there till July. Mustered out July 17, 1865. Battery lost during service 18 Enlisted men by disease.
More about the Civil War in Ohio.
Copyright © 2012 Larry Stevens
Last updated November 23 2012